6.01.2013

Moore Part 1 of 5

I spent this past Memorial Day weekend in Moore, OK doing disaster relief work with Convoy of Hope.  The only internet access I had was on my phone, so I journaled on notebook paper.  Finally having a chance to type it all out.  I will post each day's entry separately.  


THURSDAY, May 23rd


Yesterday, at about 9PM, I got a call about working with the Convoy of Hope DR (disaster response) team in Moore in a leadership role.  I was asked to coordinate teams of volunteers on the ground and get product sorted. I didn't hesitate to say yes- it's a 3 day weekend for me and I spent most of my summer in Joplin, two years ago, doing the same job.

Today was crazy busy!  Since the call to go was semi-unexpected, I have a lot of loose ends to tie up.  I had to reschedule a piano lesson, make kenneling arrangements for Maggie (which is near impossible the day before a holiday weekend), cancel plans I had, and get my oil changed.

The oil change proved to cause the most difficulty.  I took my car in when they opened at 8AM and asked that they do a brake check while they had it in.  At 2:30 I found out that I needed about $450 worth of brake work done and that my car wouldn't be finished until around 6:00.  The problem, besides the unexpected cost?  I was at work and had a piano lesson from 4:00-5:00 and no vehicle until 6:00.

I'm so glad God knows our needs even before we do!  I would not normally have $400+ sitting around, but I had set back my tax refund in my savings.  I went to our librarian, and my friend, to vent about my woes, and without me even asking, she insisted that I use her car to teach my lesson.  Stress relieve is a definite blessing!!!  And, when I picked up my car, they explained why it took so long. They had ordered the wrong part first and had to re-order it from another company, which made the cost drop about $30.  Even the inconvenience was a blessing in disguise! 

I was supposed to go with my Bible study group to hear Priscilla Shirer speak at church tonight.  I have been looking forward to this for about a month and really feel like I need to be there, but getting home after 6PM made this impossible.  I'm ending the night with cleaning, packing and a happy heart; I'll just have to download the podcast next week.


Wouldn't be a DR assignment without my official shirt, crazy pants from Joplin, lanyard and a batch of "No Bake" cookies for the team (a Joplin favorite snack)...




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio