6.06.2013

Moore Part 5 of 5

I spent this past Memorial Day weekend in Moore, OK doing disaster relief work with Convoy of Hope.  The only internet access I had was on my phone, so I journaled on notebook paper.  Finally having a chance to type it all out.  I will post each day's entry separately.  Pictures will appear larger if you click them.

MONDAY, May 27th


Today was my last day in Moore.  I didn't get away until after 8:00 PM, so I'm sitting here writing at 1:00 AM, dreading the alarm going off for school in just four and a half hours.

It's Memorial Day, but every day in a disaster seems to run together and there are no family BBQs and games to denote one day being more special than the next.  Nonetheless, I am very thankful today for the men and women that have both served our country in the past and currently serve.  As I get older, I find that my appreciation for our servicemen grows to new depths.


Memorial Day in Moore, OK

We knew that today we were going to have over 100 volunteers.  We had things ready, jobs organized and were prepared.  BUT, let me say, nothing prepares you for all 100 (plus about 30 more) volunteers showing up at the exact same time!  We had to get everyone registered and t-shirts sizes collected so we could pass them out.

It was mayhem, but as usual, God knew before we knew the timing of everything.  A volunteer arrived that is the secretary for her denominational district council, and guess what- she came about ten minutes before the crowd.  She graciously took care of getting everyone signed in and the shirt sizes collected for us.  This is one of the cool parts about disaster response, people just seem to appear out of no where at the perfect time.  I love when God's hand in things is so evidently visible.

Volunteers signing in

App. 103 volunteers showed up at the same time!


Volunteers re-boxing product

Today has been the most stressful of all my days here.  I am physically and emotionally tired, plus 100+ is a LOT of volunteers to oversee!  There have been several challenges arise, but our motto this weekend is to "ere on the side of grace".  It's proving a wise philosophy.  

I was able today to talk with several victims and hear their stories.
Because of this this:
* I am learning that nothing is about me, even the pressure I feel to say the perfect thing is insignificant and self-centered in the scheme of things.
* I'm also learning how pride can keep one from receiving things they NEED, but that how ingrained that trait is in us all.
* I am learning that simply listening is often more valuable than gold.
* I am learning that while being focused on a task is important, relationships are far more important.
* I am learning to listen to the prompting of the Holy Spirit.
* I am learning that even though our culture thinks we have eradicated gender differences, we haven't.  We all are wired according to our gender.  This wiring makes us different, compatible and who we are.  And, this isn't a bad thing.  Men still relate to men better and women with women in these situations.



Sweeping the parking lot with "Hurricane" Nancy.

After our workday, while waiting for the guys to finish up so we could go to dinner, "Hurricane" Nancy and I had a chance to sit and talk.  I just love this woman!

My first disaster working with her was Hurricane Katrina.  She was one of the volunteer leaders.  I remember learning so much from following her lead and watching how she ministered to victims.  One day while I was working there I was assigned to the job of walking "the line" (the long line of cars waiting to get supplies from our site) with another lady.  The task was to talk to people, encourage them and pray with them.  This was definitely out of my comfort zone, but Nancy showed the other lady and me what it looked like to listen, care and be a humble servant to distraught and often angry victims.  

My next disaster with her was Hurricane Ike.  My sister and I went to volunteer over Labor Day weekend.  She didn't remember me from Katrina (there were tons of volunteers there when I went with a church group).  Nancy grabbed us both right off the bat and told us to follow her around and learn the ropes.  After a few hours she gave us walkie-talkies and told us that we were in charge, she was going to check out another location.  To this day, Shelby and I are still baffled at her insight and confidence in us.  We left that weekend wanting to BE "Hurricane" Nancy!  By the way, her nickname was given- long story short- because she worked with Convoy during so many hurricanes.

I did not have an opportunity to work with her the year I did the Joplin tornado, BUT ironically enough, she was my replacement that summer and we talked several times about the assignment and people.

Finding out that I would be working with her in Moore was a WONDERFUL surprise.  There is always so much to learn from her- she is the consummate servant leader!  She exudes grace.  I am not exaggerating when I say that she is not only a legend within the DR department, but one of my living heroes as well.  She approaches every victim as our honored guest.  This was evident the very first time I met her, when she was sweeping the parking lot to make it more welcoming.  We had a GREAT chat tonight and discovered that we have uncanny similarities in not only our personalities but our up brings/lives.


We and the guys enjoyed a great dinner before I headed out.  As I was saying goodbye to Nancy, I told her that it was great working under her again.  She replied, "WITH me".  I have arrived! :)


The Convoy DR team on the ground.  I've loved working with this gang at various disasters.


We graduated from sleeping in the tent outside to the RV. :)

This semi actually contains showers.  Notice how much space is allotted for women vs. men!

Beautiful sunset as I was leaving.

Final Thoughts of the Day:

* Listened to Matt Redman's 10,000 Reasons album on the drive back.  In his song, "Where Would We Be", are the following lines:
"You came to search and rescue...You came to seek and save us..."
These words have so much more meaning leaving a disaster area than they did a few days ago.  To think that I was sought out...like the precious treasures people were seeking from the rubble, debris and destruction this weekend.  Letting that fully sink in.

* Someone made the comment today that "you can't give what you've never received".  I've been mulling that over and over in my head.  If this is true, which I'm starting to think it probably is, then I want to be open to receive everything God has for me, so I can share it with others.

* I am VERY excited about my future.  As I was asking (a little too angrily) God this weekend about the alignment of my passions and career, in my spirit I felt like He whispered that I'm in training.  That is the nudge I needed to stay focused on my "life goals".

* Overwhelmed, once again, with the people God has divinely brought into my life...immediate connections...thankfulness.

* Heaven...relationships in heaven with people we know on earth...how we will be seen and known to each other...how that would matter as I meet people here on earth.




Thursday's entry can be read here: Moore Part 1 of 5.
Friday's entry can be read here: Moore Part 2 of 5.
Saturday's entry can be read here: Moore Part 3 of 5.
Sunday's entry can be read here: Moore Part 4 of 5.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio