6.05.2013

Moore Part 4 of 5

I spent this past Memorial Day weekend in Moore, OK doing disaster relief work with Convoy of Hope.  The only internet access I had was on my phone, so I journaled on notebook paper.  Finally having a chance to type it all out.  I will post each day's entry separately.  All pictures can be seen in a larger view by clicking them.

SUNDAY, May 26th


Well, last night Nancy and I decided that we didn't want to stay at the church gym because it's just easier to be on location.  So, we moved into the volunteer tent.  The guys were skeptical, but we assured them that we LOVE sleeping outside and that it would be perfect.  It was!  I sleep better outside than anywhere else.  So well, in fact, that it makes me wonder if it's something innate, as if we weren't created for homes and artificial air.



Because today is Sunday, we had no volunteers during church service hours.  Paul took Nancy and me to see the tornado path and damage.  We were only able to view half of it, because President Obama is in town today.


"Hurricane" Nancy, Paul and Me

Getting away from the site and into the tornado zone was good; it provided me with a very real reminder of why I am here.  I can't even begin to imagine how overwhelming it would be to emerge from a storm shelter to find debris everywhere!  Below are just some of the pictures I was able to snap as we were drove through...


Notice the satellite at the top of the tree.
Notice the random oven.
Upside down vehicle behind the upside down piano that is stripped.
Leaning brick house.





Mercy Chefs is a group of professional chefs that travel and supply free food in disasters.  Today we were blessed to eat their food (it was WAY better than it looks).  Green beans, fried okra, peas, pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes with hominy IS the OFFICIAL meal of OK.  Oklahoma has a state meal- who knew!  It was adopted in 1988 and we ate it today for lunch.  Although it sounds less than appetizing, the potatoes and hominy were AMAZING!

The "lunch bunch" enjoying the state meal.  GREAT guys (Convoy DR Staff)!



After church, volunteers came out to help us unload a semi.




There are three volunteer organizations working here together this weekend.  This is not typical, in fact, I heard Nancy say that we are going where few have gone before.  One of the other organizations at our site is Christ in Action (CIA).  It has been great working with their team of volunteers.  This afternoon they helped us finish up sorting the product in the gym which helped Nancy and me accomplish our 24 hour guarantee (see yesterday's post for explanation and before pic).

"Hurricane" Nancy meeting with CIA volunteers.






Just one example of the funny stuff found labeling assorted product.



Gym cleared within 24 hours.  That's how it's done!!!

Since volunteers were scarce today with church and the fact that we got the gym sorting finished, "Hurricane" Nancy and I had a chance to call up some friends of mine in OKC.  "Fancy" Nancy, Jim and Sue welcomed us with open arms.  It was a sweet treat to have dinner and dessert with them.  We talked about our childhoods and "God things".  

I love, love, love God's people.  I know some Christians give us all a bad name, but there are a LOT of good Christ followers out there and this set of friends definitely falls into the latter category!

Jim, Nancy, Me, Sue
"Fancy" Nancy, Me, Sue, "Hurricane" Nancy
I ended the night catching up with Ryan- one of the Joplin gang.  If you knew me then, you will remember him from pics, especially those including Troutie. :)

"Sunday Silly Faces"
Today was perfect!

Final thoughts from the day:

* I love accomplishing a goal I've set for myself.

* "Servant leadership" is my favorite style of leadership to follow.  

* Although I'm an introvert and have my own set of trust issues, I really do love people.

* The past few days have been wonderful and one reason is that I am surrounded by like-minded people with a passion for ministry.  Almost all of our conversations center around God and the things of God.  Even conversations that don't start that way, end up there. It's very encouraging and good for my soul!

* Watching teamwork in action is powerful.  I watched huge tent being erected by the volunteers for Christ in Action.  It was so moving to see a group of people unified with one focus- to accomplish a goal that would be impossible for only one person.  There is power in numbers, but even more power when those "numbers" are unified.

* Still taking in the living visual displayed of all of the parts coming together to make the whole.

* Today, for the first time EVER, it hit me just how much Jesus' disciples must have missed Him.  I've always thought of the joy of the whole ascension story and never taken time to think, not only how much they would naturally miss their best friend, but also the only perfect friend they would ever have on earth.



Thursday's entry can be read here: Moore Part 1 of 5.
Friday's entry can be read here: Moore Part 2 of 5.
Saturday's entry can be read here: Moore Part 3 of 5.

2 comments:

Mac said...

Thanks for sharing. The pictures showing the hurricane damage are just such a sad sight. Well done for your volunteer work.

Adriane said...

The tornado damage WAS really sad. Thanks for the kind words!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio