6.03.2013

Moore Part 3 of 5

I spent this past Memorial Day weekend in Moore, OK doing disaster relief work with Convoy of Hope.  The only internet access I had was on my phone, so I journaled on notebook paper.  Finally having a chance to type it all out.  I will post each day's entry separately.  


SATURDAY, May 25th


Last night Nancy and I stayed in the gym of a church, a couple of miles away from our site.  Below are pictures of our home for the night.  The cots were amazing.  I know they are larger than a twin size because around midnight Nancy decided to try to cover hers with a fitted sheet.  It was really late, dark, everyone around us was asleep (including the snorer) and we were exhausted from a long day.  This combination, the hilarity of the sheer size of the cot mixed with the fact that the fitted sheet wouldn't fit resulted in a loud case of the giggles from both of us.  Luckily, no one was injured or awakened in the process. :)

Click to Enlarge

I am very thankful that I was able to start my day with a shower, especially after yesterday's escapades.  If you haven't read part 2 of this saga, do and you'll know what I'm referencing.  The shower setup at this location is unlike anything I've ever seen.  At the back of the women's bathroom, past the three stalls, is a closet.  When you open the door you see a shelf full of boxed items (picture one below).  If you step inside the seeming storage closet, you will notice on that on your right is a bookshelf loaded with floral table decorations and on your left the wall (picture two below).  And then, right in front of you, is the shower (picture three below).  Interesting to say the least.  It was spacious and the water was warm, so I tried not to let the fact that the shower curtain stuck to my legs bother me, too much.

       Click to enlarge.


Today was an absolutely gorgeous day in Moore!!!  This picture was taken as volunteers lined up in front of the mobile command center, waiting for their assignments.





 My assignment today: work with Nancy leading all the volunteers into sorting the donated, unpalletized product and getting them organized into boxes to distribute.  

The pictures below are of the product I'm referring to, which was contained in a the gym at the church where we are based, Crossroads Church.  Our field director, Paul, told us early this morning (Saturday) that we have to have it cleared out by Tuesday.  Nancy and I just looked at each other and told him to give us 24 hours, we'd have it done by Sunday!

Product to sort
Volunteers taking a break in the gym.

It's hard to describe what it's like to work here.  From 8-5 there are people everywhere, from all over the country, with every personality imaginable.  Organizing people alone has its challenges, even without the scattered product.  Everyone has tons of questions, their preferred way of doing things, a strong desire to help and need for direction.  Today is the first time that I can see how my job as a music teacher is a learning tool for life.  It's very much like directing children in school musicals.  After all, adults are just kids in bigger bodies with stronger opinions!

Activity is a non-stop bustle.  As I move to answer questions or find solutions, I am constantly being grabbed by people with more questions.  I frequently set off to find something and thirty minutes later realize that I have answered five questions, but not the first one asked which was the reason I set off in the first place.  

This work is so invigorating and rewarding to me.  To be able to keep up in a fast paced environment, help victims indirectly and lead groups into doing something that allows them to give back is wonderful.  I've never met a volunteer that didn't have a good heart and strong desire to help others.  Plus, my OCD nature loves the organizational side of it all.  I am in my element here.

Today was like working in a warehouse, which means heat, sweat, dirt and everything else that goes with it.  Normally I don't like ANY of those things, but when there is a purpose behind it, they don't bother me. 

Lisa Nene was an angel and brought us "nectar from heaven" this afternoon.
I've really got to learn to think outside of the box.

At about 3:00 PM we ran out of boxes, so had to temporarily end our sorting.  Below is a pic of our progress from 8-3, give or take.  We WILL make our 24 hour guarantee! :)



It's almost midnight here and I am just ending the day.
Final reflections of the day:

* I love working with men.  They are drama-free, direct, cut and dry, give a task and trust you to complete it on your own and they are hard workers.  They don't undermine your authority or gossip.  They are efficient and get right to the point.  Plus, they are strong and can lift way more than women!

* The main reason I love working disasters- I get to be Christ's hands and feet extended and that selflessness allows me to feel a level of fulfillment that is unrivaled. 

* The importance of EVERY part of the body (jobs) has been so evident today.  Whether it be the mouth, feet, fingers, head, they all work together to create the whole.  None is more or less important, and they are all vital parts of the whole.  I may not have been on the debris clean-up team that went out today, but I know my contribution in the back, sorting product, helped victims in another capacity. 


I will sleep well tonight!  Physical labor, emotional burdens and a sense of contentment are the perfect combination for rest.  I'm anxious to wake up tomorrow (Sunday) and live church rather than attend it.



Thursday's entry can be read here: Moore Part 1 of 5.
Friday's entry can be read here:  Moore Part 2 of 5.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio