4.24.2013

Present Day Bridget Jones


If the title of this post is confusing, then you were, obviously, not a young adult in 2001.  "Bridget Jones's Diary" is a movie starring Renee Zellweger,  Colin Firth and Hugh Grant, about the escapades of a single woman named Bridget.  IMBD's description reads, "A British woman is determined to improve herself while she looks for love in a year in which she keeps a personal diary."  Yep, that about sums my life up.  Well, minus the whole British thing- a minor detail. 


On a typical Wednesday night my Bible study teaching partner and I meet at her parents' house to prep for Sunday and enjoy a home cooked meal, but our plans got changed tonight.  I'm both physically and brain tired today; a deadly combination in that it is the quickest way to sabotage my emotional well-being.

On the way home from today's piano lesson I had a midweek meltdown.  The thought of coming home early to an empty house, the reality of single life at thirty one, and the constant nagging feeling that I should be doing 'better' in certain areas and disciplines of my life came out of nowhere and hit me square in the face.  

The way I saw it, I had two choices.  I could succumb to my emotions and have a crying pity party.  Or, I could fight it by taking an active stance to not allow my self to be completely swept away by the emotional tide which was pulling me with all of its might.  

I chose the third option: to just ride the wave and do what all self-respecting single girls do from time-to-time.  

The end of Bridget Jones's stressful day:

Pic from Miramax

The end of my emotional day:




At 21 a night like tonight would have looked like TX Roadhouse and pints of Bluebell ice cream with my college roommate.  At 31 it looks slightly more pathetic, but it has served its purpose.  I'm feeling much better.  Singing to the top of my lungs, with or without my hairbrush microphone, just might have been the turning point.  

Like Bridget, my spinster self-improvement is sure to start back in the morning.  Tonight, however, I end with a smile on my face.  Sometimes you've got to just get comfy, unplug, eat fattening foods, sing to the top of your lungs and enjoy reading about the love lives of others.

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Girl, even married, I have those nights. It must be a girl thing. Let's do Roadhouse the next you're in town. We'll get it to go with as many rolls and butter as they'll allow us to have with two kids meals. And we can run to the gas station at 10pm and grab pints of ice cream with a candy bar to do our own poor girl version of Marble Slab. If only they still made Good Heavens flavor. Then I'd pick out all of the cookie dough and put it back in the freezer. :) (Alternatively, we can go at 9pm if we think 10pm makes a good bedtime.)

Kristina said...

PS. I like the new layout. It's easier to read.

Adriane said...

I don't know if it makes me feel better or worse to know that these nights won't end if and when I get married! :) And, YES please, let's make that walk down memory lane SOON. Maybe we can find a flavor that I can pick out the best part and leave the rest in your freezer this time. Miss you!
PS- Thanks, I agree.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio