4.25.2013

Home Team

As I've sat here on my lunch break thinking about what I should write today, only one thing has come to mind: relationships.  Now before you get all excited about the possibility of a post about romantic relationships, don't!  At thirty-one and single, I would be safer writing about how to care for your twenty cats than about how to relate to the opposite sex, and I don't even own any cats. (see yesterday's post)  No, this is a post about people.


Today I'm thankful for the people God has colored my life with.  I am thankful for friends that encourage me, friends that hold me up in prayer, friends that don't let me get away with being less than they know I am, and friends that are just fun to be around.  I am grateful that my friendships aren't limited to time and distance, and that I am living in a day where communication is just a call, text or email away.  

One of my favorite modern day authors, Shauna Niequist, writes about her "home team" and the importance on nurturing those relationships in her book, "Bittersweet".  She says the following of our "home teams":  


“Everybody has a home team: It’s the people you call when you get a flat tire or when something terrible happens. It’s the people who, near or far, know everything that’s wrong with you and love you anyways. These are the ones who tell you their secrets, who get themselves a glass of water without asking when they’re at your house. These are the people who cry when you cry. These are your people, your middle-of-the-night, no-matter-what people.”

Let me introduce you to my "home team".  My life would certainly be missing a whole dimension without these wonderful people in it!  They have certainly been in my life for the long haul and words don't do justice to how much they mean to me.

Disclaimers:
By no means is this an exhaustive list of friends and people I cherish in my life.
These are listed in no particular order.


Rosemarie
No, she's not a nun, but she is an actress.  I met her 12 years ago when she was the accompanist for the vocal jazz group I was in during college.  She stayed late after class one day to help a few of us on our parts and she's been helping me ever since.  She has impeccable taste in everything, she is beautiful (both inside and out), she makes THE best sandwiches EVER, she is a talented musician, she possess both grace and charm, and she has a heart of gold.  LOVE this woman!!!



3KC
I've known these two their whole lives.  This "mother in the summer's" life would not be complete without the 3 Kids' Club.  We've gone through pretty much everything together, from spy clubs to baby dolls,  vacations to life on our own without parents near.  It's been amazing watching these two grow up.

                                  
Shelby has a passion for young people, is naturally "cool", has an incredible heart for God, and is good at everything she does.  She is a great wife and is a terrific mom.



Caleb is pretty much just like Shelby...only with the intensity of a thousand suns.  He is a "poet soul" on a quest for adventure, he can make anyone laugh, he is sensitive and has an amazing passion for both Christ and people.  Next to our parents, I am these guys biggest fan!!!  So blessed to not only call these two siblings, but friends as well.



Julie
I met Julie about 10 years ago.  I worked with her husband and they had just had a baby.  Julie had never left her baby with anyone and Clint suggested me as a babysitter.  The Lipsey's got a babysitter, but I got a friend.  Julie and I have the best times together when we're watching questionable comedies in our pjs, eating Cheese Nips and cupcakes.  Julie is extremely well-rounded, has one of the best hearts I've ever seen, is sensitive, spiritual, intelligent, bold, honest and to-the-point.  She has a great laugh and is just fun to be around.  Everyone thinks we could pass for sisters, and I take this as a major compliment.  She's an incredible person.  Love this cupcake queen!!!




Joanna
I've known Joanna's family for 26 years.  Joanna and I technically became "sisters" 8 years ago when I visited her family after a trip to Namibia.  We found ourselves complaining about the blasphemous version of "Pride & Prejudice" and immediately clicked.  Jo is a leading lady.  She is smart, funny, and an amazing prayer warrior.  She always knows the right things to say and the right times to just listen.  She is patient and forgiving and has an amazing singing voice.  She's very hospitable and would give you the shirt off her back, even if it was all she had.  Her family is my "fake fambily" and my life would be much emptier without them.  I love this adopted sister!!!





Deena
I met Deena at her birthday party about 8 years ago.  I immediately knew she was someone I wanted to be friends with.  Deena is highly intelligent, stubborn, witty, caring, open-minded, giving, heartfelt, gifted, the best shopper ever, a life-learner, and is verbally honest.  She has expanded my world view and way of thinking multiple times.  We have the best conversations about life, random studies/research, 30 Rock and about our evolving relationships with God.  Deena is my "Jack" (Lemon's life-coach), and my life would be a lot crazier without her in it!!!







Kristina
Kristina and I met before my third year of college, almost 11 years ago.  We both needed a roommate and a mutual friend suggested that we meet.  I liked her instantly.  Although, we were friends while we lived together, we have grown much closer through the years.  We've come from the days of "crushes of the month", tanning and TX Roadhouse to the days of a husband, house and adult life.  Kristina is confident, smart, rational, strong-willed, and funny.  She has the coolest style and is still my favorite person to vacation with.  She has an eye for beauty and art and loves the God that created both.  Love this globe trotter!!!





Rachel
I met Rachel about 7 years ago, but really started getting to know her 6 years ago.  Rachel's son and Caleb were good friends in college and I met Rachel on one of her trips down to see her son.  Rachel is one of the kindest, most patient, enabling people I know.  She has a tender heart and a trusting spirit.  She loves God and daily lives His example.  She is sacrificial and gracious.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God put her in my life after my parents moved.  She has spent too many hours to count on the phone listening to me, helping me work out things and just being a good friend.  I truly don't know what I would do without this "little lamb" in my life!!!




Daddy & Mother
I've known these guys my entire life and even to this day, they know me better than anyone.  The older I get, the more my appreciation, understanding and love grows for them.  Daddy soaks up knowledge, is sensitive, the hardest worker I know, a good preacher, tender hearted, passionate and very protective of the things he values.  Mother is wise, patient, balanced, intelligent, loving, and seeks understanding.  They approach everything prayerfully, give their all to commitments, care deeply for others and are, I'm convinced, the best model for what I want to be "when I grow up".  I am SO glad God entrusted my care and upbringing to this pair!  I am blessed to not only call them parents, but friends as well.



Kinsley
I met my niece, Kinsley, almost 6 months ago.  She is the reason I can carry the title of 'aunt'.  I love this little girl so much already, and can hardly wait to watch her grow up.  She is such a good baby.  She's good natured, cheerful, smart, funny and already loves music.  She doesn't know it yet, but we're going to be great friends!



Maggie May
My trusty steed has to make the cut! Caleb and I got Maggie a couple of months after our parents left for Africa, over 8 years ago.  Having something to take care of has been incredibly beneficial for me.  Maggie is definitely a free-spirit and rules the roost, but she is a great dog.  She's loyal, friendly, playful and a great companion at this stage of my life.  She knows EVERYTHING about me and still loves me. :)  Love my Magpie!!!!


Who's on your "home team"?  Have you told them lately how much they mean to you?  If not, I encourage you to drop them a line or pick up the phone.  Everyone needs to hear that they are loved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio