2.11.2013

You May Be the Walrus, But I'm the Pigeon



Ok, so I'm not really a pigeon.  BUT it is my current favorite yoga pose.  I was reminded of this tonight when I went back to yoga for the first time in two weeks.

Me Experimenting With Acrobatic Yoga


For years, several of my friends have tried to convince me to try yoga.  To persuade me, they not only used the fact that it helps with breath support (a major thing for any singer), but also the fact that I have a tendency to jump from thing to thing with little focus on any one thing.  I avoided their encouragement for years.   

About nine months ago one of my best friends invited me go to hot power yoga with her.  I was at a point where going to the gym alone every night was not working for me.  I was doing Zumba, which I very much enjoy, but was having joint issues as a result.  I needed a workout partner and I gave in.  I've been consistently going ever since.

In case you're wondering, hot power yoga is a little faster paced yoga in a room where the humidity is usually around 90%.  The room temperature can range anywhere from 90º-105º.  Each session is an hour and fifteen minutes.  It goes without saying that sweat is a major part of this workout.

The health benefits from yoga can be found all over the web, but I'm not someone making money by advertising a product.  Below are the changes that I have, personally, seen take place since starting hot yoga:

  • better breath support/control
  • healthier skin tone as a result of sweating out toxins
  • less PMS symptoms
  • better posture
  • disappearance of seasonal allergies
  • more flexibility
  • stronger muscle tone
  • less asthma problems
  • FOCUS
  • weight loss
  • carving out time to regroup and make myself only think about what I'm doing in the moment, thus helping me be "present" more often outside of class
  • better balance
  • obtaining a new group of friends and sense of community
  • increased energy
  • ease on joints and has actually helped them
  • stretching in places I normally wouldn't focus on (or know existed)
  • increased discipline
  • both physical and mental challenges
  • becoming part of an activity that links me to people around the world
  • stress relief
  • control
  • released tension all-over
  • leaving feeling like I've just left the chiropractor, gym and masseuse all in one
  • stronger feet
  • helps diminish the arthritis pain in my back
  • sense of overall well being
  • makes me a better runner


I'm sure there are many others, but these are the things I've missed while out the last couple of weeks.  If you've never tried yoga, I'd strongly encourage you to.  I have been fortunate to find a studio that fits my personality and doesn't promote a belief system that I disagree with.  For my local followers, check out Dayme's Studio., it definitely makes my #joylist.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That's amazing! I don't know how I feel about the 90-105 degrees, but the benefits are obviously there. :) And I liked that you addressed it not compromising your beliefs. Kudos to that studio.

Linda said...

WOW! That is amazing and very enticing. I have wondered about Yoga. Now I want to find a class and check it out. I could really use it since focus is not my strong point. Thanks for the advice! Keep up the good work!!

singerinkitchen said...

wow! That looks awesome! Somehow yoga and I do not mix. I am hoping to get back into it after the baby. I miss Zumba SO much. Here is to new workouts! Nice blog girl!

Adriane said...

Thanks, ladies! :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio