2.12.2013

Lint, I Mean, Um, Lent


"Lent is a six-week season of reflection, repentance and renewal in the Christian calendar that prepares us for the commemoration of Christ’s passion and resurrection. It is a time where we disrupt our daily routines by choosing to give up something that is a part of our everyday life or take on some new daily practice. This disruption serves to make us more aware of and responsive to God’s presence in and around us."
-Mike Reading-
Taken from  IBC Lent 2013


I am, and always have been, an Evangelical Christian.  I say that only to clarify that I did not grow up practicing a six-week fast before Easter.  In fact, until I was in college studying masses and the liturgical calendar, the only thing I knew about Lent was that it was a word I heard in conjunction with Mardi Gras celebrations.

A few years ago I was fortunate to hear a fellow AG PK (Assemblies of God pastor's kid) talk to my small group about his experiences adding aspects of the liturgical calendar into his walk with Christ.  
I added Lent, Advent and Christmas Eve Mass to my reoccurring calendar that year and have allowed God to speak to my heart through each observance.  Each of these help me really focus on the reason for the holiday they precede.  

Tomorrow begins the season of Lent.  This will be my fifth year to participate; every year I grow spiritually through this discipline of fasting over a prolonged period of time.  I've been praying for God to reveal to me a stronghold in my life that I need to give up this year, and I finally know what it is: eating out.

This past summer I lost 35 pounds by becoming more disciplined in my eating and exercise.  I started eating clean and quit eating out.  This fall I got in the habit of eating out, a lot, and have consequentially gained 11 of those pounds back.  

Now I know that Lent isn't about losing weight, but it is about losing things in your life that hinder your walk with God.  Eating out represents much more than weight gain for me.  I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that God has brought to my mind. 

  • It represents a lack of discipline- poor planning lends its self to the convenience of drive-thru.
  • It represents poor stewardship- I spend much more money on prepared food than I would if I cooked it myself.  
  • It represents gluttony- I always overeat when I am eating out.
  • It represents impatience- eating out, especially fast food, promotes the belief that things should come quickly and I shouldn't have to wait long for anything.
  • It represents not honoring my temple- my emotions and body are both very sensitive to the foods I eat.  Eating processed foods negatively effects my moods and overall well-being.  I don't function at my best when my diet isn't filled with natural foods.
  • It represents ill use of my talents- I'm a good cook and I enjoy cooking.   
  • It represents slothfulness- at the end of the day I am often too lazy to fire up and cook.

So there you have it.  Confessions from someone who desires God to use them to their fullest and someone determined to let Him prune out things that hinder that.  It's going to be a tough six weeks for me; my birthday and spring break trips fall into this Lent season, both of which lend themselves to eating out.  

I am praying that God will give me strength to say no to temptation, speak to my heart and honor my sacrificial obedience. This is what I'm supposed to be doing in all areas of my life, at all times, isn't it? 

If you've never participated in Lent, I'd strongly encourage you to pray about it and consider what God might have you fast this season.  If you're looking for a new daily devotional for Lent, this one is great!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ouch.... so true though.

jeannie said...

I liked your analysis of why you are choosing what you are giving up for lent. The tradition I grew up in didn't really observe Lent in the way the church we attend now does, and I really like this observance...a lot of self-reflection.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio