2.19.2013

A Day in the Life


The primary reason I started blogging was to become disciplined to writing something everyday.  Yes, I've already been unsuccessful a week into it, but that's the point.  Someday I will travel the world,  hopefully live in another country, and when that time comes I would like to be disciplined enough to write my experiences out.  I spent the summer in Malawi two years ago and my biggest regret is not writing out my thoughts, feelings and experiences. I would come in from a long day of work (I interned at a music school) and would make every excuse why I wasn't in the mood to journal.  I thought that I would remember everything, because life there was SO different than it is here.  Two years later, my memory is like an impressionistic painting.  I don't want to repeat this.  Besides, when the time comes, I want to have enough practice that I can write everything out well.  

My thoughts the past couple of days have been all over the place and I've been unable to pinpoint anything worth writing out.  Because of this, I am using a prompt for today's post.  

"If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would it be?"




If this opportunity was presented to me, I would most definitely go back in time and trade places with Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965).  It wouldn't matter what day of his life it was, because everyday was part of the making of this great man.  He has been my hero since I was young. Reasons I idolize this man:

*  He was a pastor's son.
*  He was not only a musician but he was a musical scholar.
*  He was a renowned organist and was an expert on the music of JS Bach (my all-time favorite composer).
*  He was a theologian.
*  He was a published author.
*  At the age of 30 he decided to give himself to serving humanity based on Jesus' example of service.
*  He entered a 7 year program to become a doctor when he was 30.  He had no previous experience in the medical field prior to this.
*  He became a doctor because he wanted to spread the Gospel through the act of healing and compassion rather than preaching.  He felt this service bridged the gap of the variations of Christian theology.
*  He went to Africa as a medical missionary at his own expense, performing organ concerts to raise the money for the building of his hospital.
*  His wife worked by his side at their hospital in Africa.
*  He was German and working in a French colony during WWII.  For a brief time he and his wife lost their freedom.
*  He was adamant against colonization and believed that his work in Africa was his way of "giving back" what his fellow Europeans had taken.
*  His personal philosophy was the idea of the "reverence of life" and he believed that Western society was crumbling because of its lack of respect for life as its ethical foundation.
*  He was a Nobel Peace Prize winner.

I have wanted to be Albert Schweitzer since I was a little girl.  I remember in high school dreaming about being a medical missionary.  I believe Schweitzer was a true "image bearer" of Christ, and emulated Jesus' example of meeting people's felt needs in order to minister.  Schweitzer selflessly gave his life for others and lived for a cause greater than himself.  He was a world changer, and someday I hope that others are able to say that about me.  Oh, and did I mention he was a talented musician!?!  :)  I would love to see a day in his life from his perspective, with the gloss of hindsight removed.

Who would you trade places with?

1 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio