2.17.2013

The Benefits of Stretching


One of the best things about yoga, in my opinion, is the fact that it's an exercise built around stretches.  Research shows that stretching improves the following: flexibility; range of motion; circulation; pain and relaxation. (LIVESTRONG Benefits of Stretching)  I love to stretch!

Stretching is not always comfortable.  Actually, if I am not in class on a daily basis, stretching is sometimes painful, but the pain is tolerable because I know that it's good for me.
 Even through the pain, I immediately feel better.  My muscles are not as tight and are less achy.  Each time I stretch I realize that I can go a little further than I did before.  My growing strength becomes recognizable.   If I run after stretching I can run longer, faster and I get injured a lot less frequently.  The more I stretch, the more I look forward to stretching.

Why all of this about stretching?  Because today it hit me that I don't apply my positive attitude toward stretching to all areas of my life.  That I can so easily see and accept the benefits of stretching when it comes to my physical body, even when it is tedious and painful.  Unfortunately, I haven't accepted this view in terms of my spiritual being.  

Life has taken some interesting twists this past year.  There have been moments of great joy, coupled with devestating heartbreak.  I have learned some lessons so easily and naturally that I didn't realize what I was studying until the lesson was over.  Other lessons have been taught through painfully obvious turmoil.  And in typical fashion, I am back onto lessons I thought I had mastered years ago only to find out that a repeat course was necessary.  The ebb and flow of life has brought me once again to struggle, pain, heartache, and growth.  This isn't to say that I am devoid of peace, hope and happiness.  On the contrary, sorrow often sheds light on great joy.  I'm simply saying that God has me in a place where I am acutely aware that He is daily stretching me.

Every time things seem to be moving along smoothly, and according to MY plan, God changes it up.  This isn't just in the big things like relationships, it's also in the daily things like my job, confidence, perspective, money, comfort, peace of mind, trust and so much more.  I'm getting good at viewing this season as some sort of torment or punishment.  Actually, what I'm really good at these days is having a pity party and questioning God's love, provision and faithfulness in my life.  

But today I started thinking about where I am in terms of exercise.  If I were to run 5 miles tomorrow without stretching, pushing and preparation I could easily get hurt.  I wouldn't be strong enough for to endure, I wouldn't perform at my best, and it's doubtful that I would even finish the run.  Life is the same way.  I can't expect God to take me to the next level of any aspect of my life without first stretching me.  

His stretching should be the best kind and gratefully accepted and yet I continue to fight it with every bit of my might.  What if I accepted spiritual stretching as easily as I do physical stretching?  What if I could find joy just in the process, knowing that the end results will be positive?  What if I was confident that this is exactly what I need to be the best I can be?

Today I'm deciding to re-frame my way of thinking.  Stretching is just as necessary in my spiritual life as it is in my physical life.  I may not be able to see immediate results but I am choosing to believe that its benefits are still permeating my being.  I am accepting the fact that God has a plan for my life that He desires to completely control and I can trust that everything will work out for good.  That in the end Godly stretching will yield an even better product than physical stretching.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio