8.26.2013

First Day

The first day of school is finally ending for me.  It's been an awesome day, but exhausting since it wasn't over until 10:30 (an hour and a half past my school bedtime, for those that don't know). On top of leading an after school choir, teaching piano lessons daily, after school meetings, yoga, mid-week Bible study prep, programs for each grade level, volunteer opportunities, race training, my writing project, and any other random things that comes my way during the week, I've joined a choir on Monday nights this year. 

I know it sounds crazy to try to squeeze one more thing in, but I haven't sung in a choir since I moved to Dallas three years ago.  It's a part of a who I am, and I'm trying to save that part of me from completely dying.  After leaving rehearsal tonight, I am convinced I'm making the right decision to be singing again!  Rehearsal ran like a college choir rehearsal, he labeled my voice as "dark chocolate", and neither my vocal chords nor my sight reading skills are as rusty as I'd feared- JOYLIST!  Here's to Christmas music in the fall, musical growth and professional development!  I would love for this chorale to be my chance to dust the cobwebs off and vocally grow so that I might eventually audition for a professional chorus in the area.

My evening as a first day student went well, but my morning as teacher went even better.  As usual, I didn't sleep well last night and I had the jitters most of the day.  I have never been more excited about a school year than I am this one!  There are several reasons I believe this to be so, but one of those reasons is that I had a total life perspective shift this summer...




It's no secret that, given the chance, I'd love to live abroad.  I've dreamed of this since I was a little girl, but the timing has never been right.  During Bible study one week this summer (Life Calling), God spoke a lot of things to my heart.  He showed me that, as an adult, my focus has always been on the future and what might be.  I've missed a lot of life fulfillment and good relationships by doing this. 

He also challenged me with Colossians 3:24, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters."  I've tossed that scripture around all summer, and have come to the conclusion that if I approached everything I do that way, most every aspect of my life would look differently.  

These past few weeks I have found myself asking a couple of questions over and over, based on that scripture.  If God were a little kid in my class, what would be different about my classroom and how I run it?  How would I be different if He were a student at my school? 

My first rebuttal was that I do a good job.  I'm a good teacher.  I follow the rules and do what I am supposed to.  I love my students.  My kids have fun in class.  My music programs are done well.

But, here's the deal, God knows everything about me.  He knows when I let circumstances get to me.  He knows when I'm tired and just shoot from the hip.  He knows when I procrastinate and miss an enhancement opportunity as a result.  And, he's not impressed that I'm a good teacher or even that I love my students.  Honestly, that's the easy part, and I'm not doing anyone favors by just following the rules.  

As a Christian, God requires more of me than just doing what I'm paid to do.  He tells me to approach everything as if I was doing it for Him.  That's a lot!  He sent His son to die so that I might live.  He created the earth and all its splendor for me to enjoy.  He gives me joy when I'm not even happy.  He takes care of my every need.  And so much more that I can never even adequately say thank you for, let alone repay.  When I do something for Him, my deeds come from a place of deep gratitude and I want to go the extra mile, because I want to please Him.

This is the place He is asking me to come from when I go to work. He's asking me to not just love my students, but to love them as I do Him.  He's asking me to conduct myself- actions, attitudes, speech, etc- as if He were standing right there beside me.  He's saying that if I would go above and beyond for Him, then I should do the same in my job.  He's asking for it all.  

I'm completely overwhelmed by this charge.  When I think about living that way, I have to fight shutting down because it just seems so impossible.  As I struggle with it, I think back to the beginning of the summer when God was working on me about His strength shining through my weaknesses (Diary of a Wimpy Kid).  I think back to one of our Bible study scriptures this summer, "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks..." (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18), and suddenly it dawns on me that God has been laying the ground work for this challenge all summer.  He's provided me with a "how to".  And, He's the God of the impossible anyway, so what does it matter if it seems impossible to me.  It IS impossible to me, without Him, but with Him all things are possible.  

When I let Him give me the strength, energy, patience, and stamina to approach every job I do as if it were for God Himself, He is glorified.  Isn't that what I was put on earth to do anyway, glorify Him?  When I admit to Him that I can't do it alone, He then has free reign to help me.  I get no credit for that, He does, and that keeps me humble, because I have nothing to boast about.

So, that's my goal this school year.  That's what I'm striving to do daily.  I know I won't be successful 100% of the time; I've been at work for a week now and I'm not sure I've had a full day of success, but His grace is sufficient.  This perspective shift has already made my outlook for this season of my life do a complete 360ยบ; I can't wait to see what this year holds!



------------
"But He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness."
2 Corinthians 12:9

"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters." Colossians 3:24


10,000 Reasons

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio