8.25.2013

Nature Baby

This weekend was the last weekend of summer, so naturally I packed in one more trip to see dear friends.  My trip to visit was much overdue, and it wasn't until I saw them that I realized how much I've missed them.

Rosemarie, or Mz. Wag as I still call her, was my choir accompanist in college.  We quickly became friends and have been so for the past thirteen years.  She and her husband, Jim, are very dear to me.  The weekend consisted of catching up, good food, nature, naps, a movie, church, more catching up and more sleep.  It was wonderful!  I couldn't have picked a better way to end this summer and begin the school year.

The Waggoners have a beautifully landscaped garden, on the lake, complete with every animal, insect and bug you can imagine.  I encountered a family of deer on my morning jog, cranes inching into the water and a huge dead snake on the side of the road.  Hummingbirds graced their windows as squirrels lept through the trees.  Watching each of these animals made me feel very much a part of life, realizing how significant I am in my insignificance.

  As I sat on dock reading and writing yesterday,
I couldn't help but feel like a child outside for the first time.  Everything seemed more colorful...the wind sang through the trees....the water kept time as it hit the shore...the geese danced...the bumble bees and butterflies were an inattentive audience as they flitted around...and my soul simply rested while being fed with God's glorious creation around me.

The creativity of God is on display all around us, but we have to take time to enjoy and soak it in.  We have to get out of our buildings, step away from our business, and look for it.  The effort is nothing compared to the reward.  Tonight I am back "in the city" where I will have to make a conscious decisions to find natural beauty, but this weekend I have been reminded why this is vital to my well-being.  I go to bed tonight with a full heart, a clear mind and a peaceful soul.  


Morning Jog

Views That Restore the Soul

Dear Friends Jim & Rosemarie


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio