5.05.2013

Man, I Feel Like a Woman

Power Tools.
Potting Plants.
Two Trips to Home Depot.
Four Trips to Wal Mart.
DIY Projects.
Spray Paint.
First Time to Have Live Plants.

Yep, I feel like a woman today, or at least a real adult.

*****
I realized mid-week that I was running on fumes and needed a weekend alone with no plans or schedule.  This happens frequently in my life.  I have two modes- stop and go.  I've been in go mode for quite some time, so this weekend I cleared my schedule.

Friday I went to see "Kon-Tiki" by myself at the Angelika.  It was a fantastic film, based on true events.  Throughout the entire film all I could think of was how much I long for adventure, to explore other places and cultures.  But, that's another topic for later post.

Yesterday I went to yoga for the first time in weeks.  Man, how I've missed it!  Past that, I cleaned house and napped.  It was a quiet and lazy day for sure.

Which brings us to today, the day I feel like a real woman.  After watching church live today in my pajamas, I decided to finish my balcony remodel.  It is the first on my list of home makeovers this month.  


Below is the only picture I have of "before"...


Notice the brown bench and tan base to the ficus.

Here is my new and improved patio...


I spray painted the bench black and added a cushion from Garden Ridge.  They have the largest and most affordable selection around.  I got the table at Big Lots a few weeks ago.  

I added a bird feeder from Home Depot with the cheapest seed I could find; hopefully birds will still eat it.  The rug is a bath mat from WalMart. 


The plants are all from WalMart.  I put them in colorful, plastic pots, also from WalMart.  The basket of the ficus tree was tan, so I spray painted it green.  The little orange thing sitting in it is a little garden turtle that got in on the painting action.

The orange candle holder is from Garden Ridge, but was originally black.  I spray painted it orange for a pop of color.  It holds a candle that smells heavenly, even without being lit.  I saw daisies in a jar at Home Goods, but didn't want to spend their price for them, so I made my own.  I got the daisies at JoAnne's (they're fake) and the bottle is actually a drink bottle from the gas station.  I put a citronella candle behind it for good measure.


Above is my favorite part of the entire project- the patio after sunset.  I LOVE candles, flowers and lights (aesthetics are pretty big to me, in case you haven't noticed).  I used outdoor LED lights to wrap around the bars.  They look a little Christmas-ish, but not too much.  Besides, I love Christmas, so I'm ok with that.

Overall, I am VERY pleased with the outcome of my first DIY project of the season.  I can't wait to do my devotions, sip coffee, chat with friends, watch the sunset, and sleep on my newly decorated patio.

Both of my neighbors commented on how nice my plants and balcony look.  I even heard the little girl whisper to her mom that it "looks beautiful".  I have to agree, but hope they feel the same if and when these plants die.  I'm not known for having a green thumb!


I even added flowers to my entry.


2 comments:

Kristina said...

I love, love this. (And I thought I commented on this post? Weird.) I saw the never-ending cushions at GR last weekend. The one you chose is my favorite. Hope you're still enjoying it!

Adriane said...

Thanks! You should come enjoy a cup of java out here with me! :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio