3.11.2013

Travel Colored Glasses


One of the many perks of being a teacher is that I get a week off of work every spring.  This spring break I am getting to visit my brother and his wife in Los Angeles.  I'm super excited to be their first overnight guest as a married couple.

As I was roaming through the airport today, I was once again reminded of why I love traveling so much.
 I sometimes think that if I could see my daily life the way I see the world when traveling, I would be the happiest person on the planet.  Of course, I know this probably wouldn't happen because even when traveling things aren't perfect.  However, I don't see travel as a mere escape route to life's woes.  Travel energizes me.  Travel connects me with the divine.  Travel stretches me and teaches me.  When I travel, I see the world through a different lens.  


Inner thoughts of a traveling gnome today....

Sitting at DWF waiting for my flight to LAX
I am more present when I am out of routine and traveling about.  When I am able to leave the comforts of home and visit new place, I know that I must soak it all in.  I am acutely aware that everything I am able to see and experience is temporary.  There is an expiration date on everything and I don't want to miss a thing before it comes.  When I am at home I get stuck in the cycle of thinking there is no end.  I get so used to the same routes, the same people, the same conversations and I fail to remember that these too have an expiration date and it would serve me well to be completely present, because unlike a trip, I don't know when I these experiences will end.

I appreciate everyone and everything around me as a gift, when I am traveling.  I'm not saying that I act perfectly, say just the right things or even am 100% positive on a trip, but I do process things on a much grander scale.  I stop to take time to enjoy the little things.  I focus on engaging ALL of my senses on where I am, who I'm with and what I'm doing.  I can't remember the last time I actually did this at home.

Trips make me a lot more outgoing than I normally am.  I find that I am friendlier and am more willing to step out of my comfort zone to talk to new people.  I find that I listen with a new set of ears.  I've met some really neat people on my travels and heard some awesome stories.  I wonder how many neat people I cross paths with everyday that I don't talk to, for one reason or another.  I wonder how many awesome stories and connections I miss out on everyday because I stay in my little safe bubble.

I am WAY more adventuresome while traveling.  At home I tend to do the same things, stay to myself, read a book, completely embrace my introverted nature.  But on a trip I find myself doing and trying things I wouldn't normally try.  You see, on a trip I realize that I may never have another chance to do these things again.  At home, I can't seem to gain this perspective.  It seems like opportunities will always be there.

gNomie gives DFW's Terminal D a thumbs up!
Seeing the world and people that God created draws me closer to Him.  He made so many wonderful landscapes, personalities, animals and things.  I fail to fully see His creativeness and gift of diversity when I am surrounded by the same people, places and things everyday.  Traveling reminds me how small I am in this world.  It reminds me that I am not the center of anything.  By the same token, it reminds me why I'm glad that I'm not.

Trips give me a whole new viewpoint from which to approach life from.  It teaches me that there are a million different ways to do things.  It reminds me that there are a million different ways to believe about any given subject.  It promotes thinking outside of the box.  But most of all, it reminds me that not everything is right or wrong, sometimes it's just different and that's OK.  Unfortunately, I am not as accepting of difference as often as I am while traveling.

My expectations are lowered while traveling.  I am a lot more laid back than I am at home.  A lack of control on my part is very evident, very often, while on a trip.  With this realization comes acceptance of varied circumstances and outcomes.  Consequently, I am more gracious while on the road.  

Home and daily life often get stagnant.  It's easy to forget that things are still moving, but travel reminds me that everything is moving.  Sometimes this movement is slow and sometimes it's fast, and more often than not, it is moving cyclically.  Regardless its pattern, it is ALWAYS changing.  Nothing lasts forever.  In fact, one of our common themes is that of life and death, death and rebirth.  When one is in the death phase, it is easy to forget that new life is coming.  When one is in the life stage, it is easy to forget that death is coming.  Watching life somewhere else, or life belonging to others, illuminates this pattern.  Seeing it as an outsider, helps me understand and see the necessity of it all in my own life.  

I believe that the perspectives I'm able to gain while traveling run parallel to eternal perspectives.  I feel very connected to God and His creation when I step out of my life and into another.  If only I could bring these views home and implement them into everyday.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio